Objective & Mandate
The center has a mandate of promoting plant conservation, research and to augment plant resources for sustainable development in the following areas;
- To conduct survey of selected plant groups including RET
- Maintain living collections, field gene banks and seed banks for germplasm conservation and research.
- Propagation and conservation of medicinal, aromatic, oil yielding and economic plants including mangroves and its research.
- Genetic manipulation of plants through tissue culture and mutagenesis.
- Survey, assessment application of microbial diversity in stress habitat.
- Cyto-taxonomy study of horticultural and forestry species.
- Molecular characterization of horticultural and forest species.
- Dissemination of information through publication of scientific and popular literature.
- Landscaping, garden layout and impart training on plant propagation and nursery technologies.
- Collaboration with national and international institutions to promote the cause of conservation of biological diversity of plants and exchange of plant materials.
- Supply of authentic planting stock to university, research institutes and other agencies for research and commercialization.