10.1.Evaluation of species growth performance and Yield of plants on coalmine overburden for phytoremediation of mine waste
- Survey, collection, identification and preservation of the recent natural flora of the mining area.
- Physical and chemical analysis of planted overburden soil as well as barren overburden soil.
- Elemental analysis of soil and plants grown on it.
- Comparison of data taken through quadrant analysis in coal mine site.
- Biodiversity study through quadrant analysis in coal mine site.
- Study of any abnormality of planted tree species.
Large scale plantation of selected tree species were done on 100 hector of mine land at South Bolanda cola mine, Talcher on 15 Years back. Physiochemical and Elemental analysis of control and coal mine spoil were studied. Morphological and Elemental analysis of selected plant species were done.
Maximum height was observed in Casuarina equisitifolia followed by Anogysus acuminate and Leucaena leucocephala, Eugenia jambolina etc. Highest number of branches was found in Glericedia sepium and Azadiracta indica and lowest in other species. DBH was found maximum in Azadiracta indica and lowest in Zizyphus mauritiana. GBH was maximum in Azadiracta indica and minimum in Zizyphus mauritiana. Basal area was marked highest in Azadiracta indica and lowest in Zizyphus mauritiana. Canopy coverage was marked in Glericedia sepium and lowest in Casuarina equisitifolia.
Plantation of Gliricidia sepium at South Bolanda Coal Mine Overburden
View of Casuarina equisetifolia planted on South Bolanda Coal Mine Site